Thursday, May 17, 2007

long-awaited updates

will have to be slightly longer awaited. I am in the middle of one of the most important parts of what the journey has been so far, but i want to do this in some sembelance of order, and I don't know how much time I have.

So, I skimmed the topic of the plane ride, but here's how it went...

We got swited to Luthansa from United, to a 5-star from a 2 or 3. Which was nice. Drinks were free and they had hard-a and beer and stuff and never carded me. And they were always by our side. Most of the time by the time I finished one drink on the plane I had someone standing next to me offering me another. I got mildly drunk on the plane but slept it off the last hour or 2.

When we touched down we were lost as shit, but everyone here speaks english and is more than willing to help in english. I'm trying to use german to help me learn the language when I have a crutch like that. Oh wells. So, there was basically no customs. They asked if I had anything to declare, I didn't know what that means so I said no. They asked if I was here for business or holiday, I said holiday. They asked how long would I be there, I said a month, and it was done. Säed's guard didn't ask any questions. So we sat down in the airport to use the net to find the hotel we were to stay in, but it was pay-for net. strange coming from portland where wifi runs like tapwater... out of tubes. So, we wandered around looking for a cafe with free wifi, but nobody knows what wifi is or wireless fidelity or internet without wires or no-wire-net or any combination of those words in english mixed with a few words of german. So we wandered the streets for an hour or two when Saed said he'd just pay for net at a pay-for net cafe. We did that and found the hotel.

Once at the hotel Vanc and I set out to find and consume absynthe. We found just that, but I am pretty sure we got ripped off. The liqour stores didn't have it, but we bought half a bottle from a bar for €25. It is hard to haggle in a language you don't speak, with a currency you've never used for a product you've never tried. We went back to the hotel room and drank it and became endrunkened. It was nice and fun and indeed relatively lucid.

Saed slept through this all by the way, because he sleeps 16 hrs a day or suffers miserably. So I typed a couple brief drunken emails and made that silly blog post beneath this one.

I got upstairs and säed was still sleeping and vanc had passed out in the corner. That looked incredibly appealing to me, so I curled up in a ball on the bed, with my shoes and clothes on and slept.

We all woke up at the same time, like two hours later... you know what, the Subhumans are about to go on I think, I'll finish this when I next have email access.

No comments: